Logo

Replace 350 block with car block Can it be done

streetstock

Working on my neighbors boat.

Working on my neighbors boat. The morons at the boat shop never drained the water out of the block when they "winterized" it for him. So now theres a nice crack on the left side of the block. So...

Can a passenger car block replace the mercury or is there different bolt bosses. Gonna change everything over except maybe installing a new set of pistons and cam/lifters.

The block may work but not muc

The block may work but not much else is the same. A 4 bolt main block with a steel crank is best for a boat but these haven't been used in years. If you just want to just get it going then throw the car engine in. Depending on the condition of the engine it should last at least the rest of the season. Keep in mind most of the engines before the vortech had dish pistons with low compression. The engine will not have much power. Plus it's not a very good idea to take a engine that has been run at 2000-3200 rpm and start pushing it to 4600 rpm. There are rebuilt marine engines around for less than a grand. New ones for less than 2. Good luck

"Thanks for the reply. I just

"Thanks for the reply. I just needed to know ahead of time before I send the block into the machine shop to fit the new pistons.

I wanted to make sure that the blocks share the same bosses so that everything will still have its place to get bolted to. Alt., power steering, etc... (I havn't touched the boat yet)

The boat motor was supposedly just rebuilt and never seen the water. Sad....

So now it'll be setup similiar to what I run in one of my old racecars. 220*/480 lift cam with 10:1's.
My old hobbystock racecar motor rarely saw under 3500 and topped off at 6500 rpm. It lasted 2 years and would still be going if it wasnt for a rules change for compression.

BTW it's an early 80's seacraft?"

Back