Logo

Power steering

"Don't do it. It is possib

"Don't do it. It is possible, but not practical. 1st you would need the brackets, pump and hoses for the PS. Then you would actually need to find a kit that fits well under the dash (I persoally don't think there is one). It seemed way too pricey and time consuming to me. I'll be the 1st to admit that I would love to have PS, but I won't be adding it to my 86 Capri any time soon.

I just last week replaced my worn out rotary box and cable with a "NO feedback" rotary system for about $250. I have not had a chance to put it in the water yet, but I'll let you know what I think after I do(16,17,18th).

Mine was very hard to turn, particularly right. When we pulled the old cabe and box out, we put a vice grip on the steering shaft and tried to turn the cable with no load on the other end and it was still damn near impossible so I gotta believe this is going to help.

Is your rotary box and cable orig. equipment? If it is I bet a new one would work well for you."

Going out tomorrow (July 8

Going out tomorrow (July 8th) for a few hours. I'll report back on the new "No Feedback" rotary system. I already know it won't be as nice as PS but it has to be an improvement over the 20 year old standard rotary system.

"Boat did much better with the

"Boat did much better with the No Feedback system. Boat tracked straight at plane, I think because the NFB won't allow the leg to turn it forces you to turn the wheel in order to get it to turn, steering felt good, still a little harder to the right but I'm sure I'm fighting left hand propeller rotation. Overall for $250. I would say it was a very good deal.

MY
2_cents.gif
"

I don't know the techincal

I don't know the techincal ins and outs but it seems to "lock" the steering when you aren't turning the wheel. You can feel it release when you give the wheel a slight tug. Makes the boat track straight as hell at full speed. No fighting to keep it straight at all. You might want to Google "no feedback steering" if you want to find out more.

"The premier mechanical steeri

"The premier mechanical steering system!
The newest innovation from Teleflex, the leader in marine steering systems. Today's high horsepower engines create high torque loads which result in torque feedback at the steering wheel. The No-Feedback system was designed with a patented roller clutch mechanism that neutralizes torque feedback at the helm while a positive gear drive of 22 to 1 (4.2 turns lock to lock) reduces steering effort dramatically. Perfect for boats up to 24' using wheels up to 16". Features 3/4" standard taper and a compact die-cast precision zinc rotary helm that uses advanced Teleflex helical cable for quick, easy installation. Kit comes complete with helm, helical cable, 90 degree bezel, easy instructions and all necessary hardware."

Back