Logo

2005 50 GXI dead at start

bluefevah

"Hello all,
Having issues wit

"Hello all,
Having issues with 2005 5.0 GXI at start. At run position, batteries show 13 volts however, when starting engine does not turn over. Now, I have tested and there is power to the plugs, the starter and to the dash in the run position. I used a spare relay given in the engine electrical center and the engine fired up right away. It ran with no isssues for about 45 minutes and when I docked, I turned it over several times with no problem. HOWEVER, once the engine cooled, it was once again dead and not turning over. I'm thinking might be a starter issue, but if two relays have been fried (potentially) anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks in advance...Sean"

Looks to me like either the st

Looks to me like either the starter is NG or the solenoid is shorted.

A burnt coil would do. They ar

A burnt coil would do. They are not expensive to replace.

"I am a litle confused about w

"I am a litle confused about which relay that is 'gone' and even more about it being burned out twice from a short without any fuses being blown. Have You checked out that the relays are really gone, it may be an intermitent problem like a loose/bad connection in the relay box or relay circuit that creates the problem. I suggest You test both relays first."

"As mentioned I'm not quit

"As mentioned I'm not quite sure about which of the relays You changed, but think to remember a relay in the circuit that would prevent the possibility of engaging the starter when the engine was running. That relay needed ground from the alternator field to operate. When engine runs, field gives out 12 volt and the relay will not work, starter not engage and engine not turn over. Please have me excused if I'm wrong in this, but it may be smart checking it out."

"Sean, do you hear the solenoi

"Sean, do you hear the solenoid clicking and the starter engaging? If not, try to jumper wire the heavy gauge + in the starter with the yellow/red terminal in the solenoid. The starter motor should be energized and spin rapidly. If it does not, connect a wire running from the + of the battery to the post below the heavy gauge battery cable in the solenoid. If the starter engages and turns rapidly, the solenoid is toasted. If not, the starter is toasted.

In any case, make sure that your engine is properly grounded to the (-) of the battery."

"Thanks for all the help guys.

"Thanks for all the help guys. I changed the relay in the box next to the spark arrestor for the ignition. I just got off the phone with the guys at Volvo and they feel that it may be the box itself as you suggested and not the relays or starter. He said that there has been some history in the past with bad connections from the box to the relay.
El, Its extremely difficult to get at, but ill see what i can do"

Back