Logo

43 L Mercruiser Running Rough

kgb9251

"1992 20' Sea Ray with 4.3

"1992 20' Sea Ray with 4.3l VX. changed spark plugs and rotor cap and button. Now, for the first 10-15 minutes it hits on 3 or 4 cylinders rather than 6. Yesterday I took off across the water and never exceeded 5 mph and it wouldn't rev over 2000. It backfired, etc. Then after about 10-12 minutes it started firing on all cylinders and ran smooth. It's done this 3 days in a row now. Could water be in the distributor cap? I did loose one screw of the 3 that hold the cap down."

Check that the cap is flat on

Check that the cap is flat on the distributor and not up on one side since you lost a screw. Why would a new cap have water in it? Was there water in the distributor before you started the repairs? Just sounds as if the cap is not on right. Was there a gasket under the cap that could be out of place? If all else fails replace the cap and rotor with the old one and see if the problem goes away.

"Long story short, a screw got

"Long story short, a screw got down in the distributor and was causing the engine to run rough for several minutes. What I can't explain is why it would clear up and run fine after about 10 minutes of warm up. It did this for three days straight. Once I removed the screw and replace the damaged rotor assembly, it runs perferct.
Thanks for all your assistance."

"Yeah, lucky. Just try to buy

"Yeah, lucky. Just try to buy one of those distributor cap screws. It's impossible!"

Back