Logo

Trim pump motor

My drive will not move when sw

My drive will not move when switches are pushed.checked oil level it is good motor runs when switches are pushed its a 1972 merc cruiser with a three button switch. the pump states 20 weight oil on the side but when I open the hose at the ram it looks like ATF. I do get oil at the lines on the rams but no presure. the rams will move a few inches when I pull up on the drive so they do not seem to be frozen. Any thought would be great.

Check the reverse lock out whe

Check the reverse lock out where the shift cables mount at the rear of the engine. It could be stuck in the lock mode.

"Well I found what I believe i

"Well I found what I believe is the problem. I was low on oil in the pump again and filled it back up. I was bleading the system after checking the switch and saw oil in the bilge. one of thelines going from the bottom of the pump to the drive is leaking.Next problem is how do I get this line off do I need to pull the drive(hope not). can not feel the end of the line from the inside, and see there looks like a small plate on the bottom of the drive where the lines connect for the rams.Any body have any ideas on this one."

"remove the trim block below d

"remove the trim block below drive.(two nuts) when you pull it down, trim hoses will come with. remove the ram hoses first, and be patient. tite fit. can be a bear to get out. make sure you replace the gasket, or you'll have a leak into the boat."

"Scott, I really want to thank

"Scott, I really want to thank you for your help with these items, I bought this boat toward the end of last year and thought I got a pretty good deal $1000 for a 72 21 foot and it was in pretty good shape. Spent the winter rehabing the interior, dash, wood trim seat and all that good stuff. When i purchased it I was told it was not run for 2 years so I took it to the marina that was recomended by a friend that used them for some repairs. he checked it all out at told me it was all good runs smooth and drive sounds and looks solid. then this spring all hell broke loose when the kids wanted to take her out and she had the leaking manifold the trim problems didn,t want to start and a few other minor problems, so far shw has cost about $3500 and still hoping that when I put the new riser on that is the problem of the water in the oil.
I want my old glasstron back that leaked but ran like a top.
Thanks for your help"

"Scott,
Got if off the plate

"Scott,
Got if off the plate was broken by the aft hose looks like some attempted to repair with marine tech. Looks like some more good advise tks again."

Back