Logo

1986 Bayliner Capri Volvo Penta Carburetor

R

Rick Bowen

"Help, I need a new carb. Idl

"Help, I need a new carb. Idles fine, but when you throw it all the way up sounds like it is sucking air and dies. Tried installing a new fuel filter no luck. Anyone know where to buy a new carb??"

"First, what engine and what t

"First, what engine and what type of carb do you have?

Second, why do you think that you need a new carburetor? Most of the times you can rebuild the existing one. Also, your problem could be that the carb could just be overflowing; or if you have an automatic choke, it could be acting-up."

"I agree. I have an 86 Capri a

"I agree. I have an 86 Capri and I had the carb rebuilt for about $50. a couple of years ago, and it never ran better. I pulled the carb off of the boat, took it to the shop, they rebuilt it, and I slapped it back on. I will probably have it done again next year just for the heck of it."

"If its a 4 cylinder Volvo eng

"If its a 4 cylinder Volvo engine with the big one barrel carb, make sure that the accelerator pump nozzle is pointed directly down into the venturi. My very first boat was an 86 Capri with those same symptoms, I had no hole shot at all and it sputtered, sometimes died, or took 2 miles to get on plane. Turns out the little brass tube wasn't pointing towards the venturi. The gas shot from the accelerator pump was being squirted into the screen on the flame arrestor."

Back