Logo

AQ260 Quit shifitng into forward Plz help

M

Mark Truitt

I have an 1986 25' Bayline

I have an 1986 25' Bayliner with a Volvo Penta AQ260 outdrive. This weekend it suddenly stopped shifting into forward gear. It still shifts into reverse. The linkage looks ok at the handle. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

"It might be several reasons,

"It might be several reasons, but would not be surprised if Your drive is full of water/oil cream?
Has it been delayed in shifting lately or have You had to encrease the revs to make it engage?"

I haven't really noticed a

I haven't really noticed and shifting delays recently and I don't think I have had to increase revs to make it engage. No matter how much I rev it now it will not engage. Would it still shift into reverse if it was full of water? The throttle handle seems like it is harder to operate now. It is parked in a slip and sits in the water all the time.

"I would take the boat out of

"I would take the boat out of the water, remove the shift cover and try to shift manually by operating by hand the shift mechanism. If it shifts both into forward and into reverse, your problem is probably either the shift cable needing adjustment, a defective shift cable, or defective handle mechanism."

Thanks for the info. Here'

Thanks for the info. Here's the rub - I have no idea where any of that stuff is. Where is the shift cover located? This is all new territory for me. Thanks again!!

If you're going to own and

If you're going to own and maintain that boat get a Seloc or Clymer manual. It's the bible. I think they sell them through a link at the top of this website.

"The shift cover is at the bac

"The shift cover is at the back of the drive, and a manual may be useful. There is one more option: Your drive shifts, but the propeller hub is burnrd and propeller needs to be changed."

"OK, Thanks. I just replaced t

"OK, Thanks. I just replaced the prop a couple of weeks ago. I spun out the hub. I plan on throwing some wrenches this afternoon. Any other suggestions are welcome."

Just an update in case anyone

Just an update in case anyone was wondering what the problem was. I opened up the shift cover and found that the pin that holds the linkage in place fell out. It was the pin that is inserted from the outside of the lower unit and runs thru a tube that a portion of the linkage is mounted to. I replaced the pin and all is well!! Thanks everyone for the help!!

Back