Logo

Oxidation

J

jim44070

What products are best to remo

What products are best to remove heavy oxidation? I have a red 87’ Stingray and it looks like someone dusted it with baby powder.
Is it wise to use a high speed buffer or will there be a chance of burning the gel coat?

Wet sand it with 800-1200 sand

Wet sand it with 800-1200 sand paper and then buff with 3m finessitIII. Apply a couple coats of good wax and it should last a long time. You must be VERY carefull with a high speed buffer. I use a variable speed on low to work the compuond and then medium to shine. If all you do is buff it you will be doing it every month or so.

Hold on with that sand paper.

Hold on with that sand paper. There may not be that much material left for sanding. You could sand off to much material on the edges very easy. Sanding is nice if you know how much material you are working with. Sanding takes off material then you remove even more buffing out the scratches from the sand paper. If you must sand it use no less than 2000 grit paper. Use of any heavy compound is not needed either. Try a product called Cargroom final finish. I've seen this remove some real bad oxidation. Spendy stuff but it works. You'll need to use a buffer but not real fast.Work the material and throw a few drops of water at it now and then if it gets dry or builds up. Clean the pad often by holding a screw driver on it. After first pass change the pad and finish with another coat with a high speed light buff. Spread the material by hand before buffing and do a small area at a time. Follow with a good wax of your choice.
Good luck.

I just cleaned my hull with a

I just cleaned my hull with a wifey recommendaton: Its called CLR lime and rust remover. It sounds tough but its a foam you leave on for 5 - 10 min. & rinse off. A bit of wax and I got a mirror shine.

Back