Logo

30 died at wot

ltmoeller

"I have a 1985 with a 3.0 with

"I have a 1985 with a 3.0 with 422 hours and yesterday I pulled the grandkids for 3 hours and boat was perfect.I then went for a cruise and it ran fine at 3/4 throttle but died at wot after about 30 seconds.It took about 10 minutes to restart.I replaced the fuel filter 3 weeks ago.Any Ideas,Tom"

Replace the condenser. Get a n

Replace the condenser. Get a new coil. Verify if you need a coil that needs external ballast resistance or one that does not require external ballast.If the ignition key switch is original replace it with a marine ignition switch. When replacing switch make sure that the drain hole in the body of the switch is pointed down.

The EXACT same thing happened

The EXACT same thing happened to me. Mine is a 94. I've replaced the coil and am gonna take it out this weekend. Thats pretty much what the problem is. Coil gets real hot and fouls up.

"Thanks guys for the quick inf

"Thanks guys for the quick information.Russ,let me know if your new coil solved the problem.I bought this boat new 21 years ago and yes the coil is that old.I have done very little to this boat since it never gave me any problems and is only used 3 months a year.I ordered a coil and comlpete tune up kit yesterday.Thanks,Tom"

"When my 1988 3.0 l did this I

"When my 1988 3.0 l did this I replaced coil, point& condenser with no change found it to be the check valve on the fuel thaNK OUTLET"

"Well, just got back from the

"Well, just got back from the lake. No luck. Changed the coil last week and that didn't fix it so I went and picked up an ignition module and that didn't work either. It was very strange. This would happen with the engine cold. I could run at 3000 rpm with relatively no problems but any higher and it would start to surge on me and the surging would get worse the longer I held it at that rpm.

I guess I need to look into the fuel system.

PAUL. Where exactly is this check valve you speak of? Right inside that elbow that connects to the hose which runs to the fuel/water seperator?"

"Paul, I found my check valve.

"Paul, I found my check valve. It seems to be good. I put a water hose to it and it allowed plenty of flow in one direction but didn't all any in the other. Is there anything else I need to check to make sure it is good?

I also noticed that with higher flowrates of water, the valve began to vibrate back and forth rapidly. But the flowrate of water I was using was much greater than it would ever see with gasoline."

"Looked at a few other things.

"Looked at a few other things. There is a filter where the metal fuel line hooks into the carb. It had a little junk on it but otherwise it was fairly clean. I tore the carb down and cleaned a little bit of stuff outta it too. There is also an adjustment on the top of the carb for the inlet check valve. This could be off a little and allow the fuel bowl to starve before it can fill up again. Also, one more thing to check. I had the flame arrestor off the carb and ran the engine up to about 4k and noticed that the PCV valve on the valve cover was spewing oil vapor. This could also be my problem. Oil in the incoming air will foul out the engine."

My check valve looked good to.

My check valve looked good to. I changed any way and it worrked. i think it had to do with the sucktion of the fuel pump.

"I got it at the local dealer.

"I got it at the local dealer. I think it was like 15, a lot less than the coil and every thing."

I just ordered one from McMast

I just ordered one from McMaster-Carr (part #7768K18) for 15. Another question: Is this valve necessary or will it just cause long starting times due to lack of fuel pressure?

"Ok guys, u ready for my solut

"Ok guys, u ready for my solution? Electrical short at the coil. Yep, the wires were barely connecting and they would sporatically loose all connection. So, with the engine running, wiggle ur wires and see if anything changes. It worked for me."

"Another update. Turns out it

"Another update. Turns out it was a combination of 'electrical short' from the coil and the fuel pump was bad. You can tell if your pump is bad by looking at the clear tube that comes off of it. If this tube has visible fuel in it, then your primary diaphram in the pump is bad. No way to service the pump. Simply replace it (90 bucks)."

Back