Logo

Please help1983 350 not starting

hookem0442

"My boat has been in storage f

"My boat has been in storage for about a year. I tried to start it, but it wont turn over all the way. It sounds like it wants to, but wont catch. Any ideas?
I put a new battery in and just changed put in a new alternator last summer. I have also had a new pump put on.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS The floor also rotted over the winter, so I spent the last week tearing the old floor out and replacing it. Needless to say, I am tired of this darn boat already."

"When you say "won't t

"When you say "won't turn over all the way". Does that mean it won't start or that it physically won't turn over like it is stopping mid turn?

If it won't start then timing is probably the culprit. Check the three main ingredients (air, fuel, spark) and go from there."

If it turns over all the way a

If it turns over all the way and sounds like it wants to start it may have rusted valves. Just spray some starting fluid in it with a little oil like WD40. Not much just a little. Try it again. It should try to start but may back fire some if it does have rusted valve seats. This may take a few tries but it should start. It will run rough at first but if it ran ok before it should clean out after a few minutes. If this is the cause use storage fog in the future when letting it sit.It helps keep the inside from rusting. Rust in the engine is not good. If it is rust on the valves you can bet it is on the cylinder walls as well. Make sure there is not water in the fuel. Make sure that you do have water to the lower unit so you don't burn up the impeller. Good luck.

Back