Logo

Mercruiser 30 skips when hot

gdarin

"Just purchased boat with 1987

"Just purchased boat with 1987 3.0 Mercrusier Alpha One. Boat was sitting for two years. I did a tune-up on it with tune up kit, new plugs, fuel filter; also replaced battery, changed oil and filter (oil had water in it).
Started OK and ran fine for 1 hour, then developed skipping after heating up. Tried the next day with same results.

I did not change plug wires, put they seem in pretty good shape. Do you think coil is the problem, or any other ideas? Thanks!!"

"I would check exhaust manifol

"I would check exhaust manifold and riser, and for any possible cracks in block or intake manifold before running motor any more. Water in oil means something is wrong, And bad exhaust manifolds could be leaking water in to cyliners causing your missfire. Some times you will hear tapping sounds coming from your distributor caused by water intrusion."

"Yes that COULD be a coil symt

"Yes that COULD be a coil symtom. If you have a points distributor, replace the condenser first and see what happens. If the problems continue try replacing the coil. Be sure to get the proper replacement coil. Some require external ballast and some do not."

"Thanks for the info. I'v

"Thanks for the info. I've got 5 hours on the tuned engine and the oil looks excellent, no signs of any water. I changed points, condenser, plugs, and fuel filter with the tune up, so I've got a new coil I ordered from the Mercriuser dealer using the engine serial no. to be sure I got the right one. I'll give it a try over the weekend, hoping for the best!"

Back