Logo

57 timing

C

Craigsmotor

"I have a 5.7 Bravo Thunderbol

"I have a 5.7 Bravo Thunderbolt Ign. engine
To set the timing, what do I do about the Electronic advance? one book said to set it at
Idle...Another book said to remove the purple and white wire--there is no purple and white wire.
I know it is 7 deg. BTDC. Now what"

"This isn't easy to tell y

"This isn't easy to tell you if you don't specify the year of the motor and whether it has a carb or is injected.

If the book referred to a purple/white wire, the book is for injected motors or isn't for your year. Get a manual for your year and model. It IS or is suppoed to be set at 7 BTDC?"

Carb..... The book said 7 BTD

Carb..... The book said 7 BTDC boat is a Crestline 27' Unknown year maybe 92-98
OK that is why their is no purple/white wire.
I am working with a mercruser book ( Clymer)

"I never worked from a Clymer

"I never worked from a Clymer book, just Mercruiser service manuals. The year of the boat is in the hull ID number (last two digits). Either way, if the book is dealing with injection, it's not the right one for your boat. Get the right manual or call a dealer and ask if they'd be willing to let you look at their book and take some notes.

Why do you need/want to change or check the timing?"

"Distributor was loose and mov

"Distributor was loose and moved. How it got that way is unknown to me. Boat was in a yard and winterize. Was just checking it and found it that way, Motor runs but wanted to do it right."

Back