Logo

HelpFixing a 30 Mercruiser

98lariat

"Hello, I'm trying to fix

"Hello, I'm trying to fix a 3.0 Merc for a friend. The boats been sitting up for a about 5 years in the weather. I've already put a starter on it, changed the recirc waterpump, new plug wires, new ignition mudult, new rotor and new cap. I cannot get it to fire. I've jumpered about everything I can, and it will not fire. My next step is to replace the coil, but I hate throwing all this money at it and not being sure if what I'm changing is the problem. Especially since it's his money... The only reference I have is the install manuel, which has a very good wiring diagram, but I cannot figure out why I can't get spark. Any help would be most appreciated..."

What type of distributor (

What type of distributor (points or module)?

"It's the EST ignition. So

"It's the EST ignition. Sorry, it's a 1994 model motor, with an Alpha 1 outdrive. I believe I did find one problem that I'm still tracing out. It's multiple ground faults in the ignition circuit. Could a ground cause a negative voltage on what should be a postitive circuit? So far, I've isolated one ground to the electric choke, and there's another I haven't found yet in the dask wiring."

Good idea to check and clean a

Good idea to check and clean all connections. One overlooked one is where the ground cable connects to the engine block. Remove cable then clean and briten area of contact.

those coils are 50 bucks at eb

those coils are 50 bucks at ebasicpower.com. I just got one for my 94. I'll mail you my old one if you send me 5 bucks. It works but was causing problems after about 30 mins on the lake (gets hot and doesn't work properly).

Its the box type coil. Breakerless EST.

Back