Logo

Water in oil

I installed a new manifold on

I installed a new manifold on my 165 / 215 cid merc cruiser I/O last week Did not changethe riser. Did change all the gaskets. Yesterday I put her in the water and ran her about 1/2 hour when she started actin funny. Back to the dock opened the comparment and saw white miky lookin stuff in the bilge. Pulled the oil stick and it was full of the white stuff. Pulled the riser and she looks kinda cloged and it has a low spot near one of the water ports. Does this sound like the problem or am I just wishfull thinking? Another question is there an easy way to tell what type of OD I have. I bought this project last summer and have rebuilt just about everything but the moter and OD. Its been about 15 years since my last boat and this was for my son and I to spend some time together and he is so disapointed that we were un able to run her. The boat is a cruisers bonanza 21 ft. Any help or advise would be great.

A. did you drain manifold/rise

A. did you drain manifold/riser before removing? was there water in it?
B. by O.D. do you mean riser? just measure outlet.

"Scott,
When I went to winte

"Scott,
When I went to winterize the boat last fall that is when I found the Manifold bad while putting in the anti-frezze it was dripping out near the back.This spring I ordered and installed a new manifold and just recieved a new riser yesterday.
By OD I am refuring to the out Drive.
Thanks"

"okay. I was trying to determi

"okay. I was trying to determine if the water in oil came from manifold/riser. if it did, there would most likely been water in there when you took off riser. I'm a little foggy on what you got. there was a 165/6cyl.(250c.i.d.) and a 165 4 cyl.(224 c.i.d.)no 215 as far as I know. 6 cyl(1970-81)used 1 drive. 4 cyl.(1987)used alpha1. regards, S."

You might simply have leaking

You might simply have leaking gaskets. That joint between the manifold and riser is CRITICAL to keep water out. Used gaskets? Sheesh! Even I'm not that cheap.

Jeff

"Jeff,
I changed all the gas

"Jeff,
I changed all the gaskets, Installed the new riser and another new riser gasket today.drained all the water/ oil from pan.ran new oil with flush for about 5 min. drained again. Looked like about 8 qts came out. It was milk again, figured that was from cleaning it out and residue, refilled with new oil tightened all the mainifold bolts again just in case. took the hose from manifold to thermostate off and filled the manifold with water and the thermostate housing just to see if I got water in the pan, or lost water from the manifold it looked ok.Refilled with oil,ran about 5 min and we have milk and an overfilled oil pan again. I am going to pull the manifold and check to see if the gasket looks ok I am still hoping not to pull the head. By the she ran fantastic at idle and 25oo rpm so I am still thinking that the head gasket and head are ok.
Am I missing somewhere else that the water could be getting in."

"Well riser did not work so ju

"Well riser did not work so just pulled the head, The gasket looks like it had a leak between cyls 4-5 and also looks like a leak back end by the water ports. Funny I had some water in the front two spark plug when I pulled them and in the front two cyls when I took off the head but the leak in the gasket seemed to be in the rear. It did look like the water port near the second cyl in the front was leaking had some rust between the port and the cyl. I do not know if I should send out the head or take my chances on just replacing the gaskets. Everything looks good not much build up of rust or carbon. The inside of the valve cover,rockers, and pushrods, aside from the milk is in great shape and clean."

"I would send it out. have it

"I would send it out. have it checked for warp, and possible cracks.also look closely at cyls. could water have been running thru exhaust manifold? was it wet?"

"The manifold was just replace

"The manifold was just replaced with gaskes last week I pulled the drain before I removed it as to not let any water get into the block or head. I looked at the gasket better now and do see between the water port and pushrod hole where it looks as if it was leaking in two areas. I am going to send it out so I do not have to go through this again. Well at least everything will be new, bought new upper and lower thermostate housings, thermostate, gasket set, spent alot time cleaning everything, broke the slave selinoid so it will be replaced also.
Thanks."

Well some good news got the he

Well some good news got the head back and it is good. Have all the replacment parts in hand if all goes well she should be back together tomorrow. I still am wondering about the trim pump it had trans fluid in it and it states on the pump 20W should I use the trans fluid or will I be ok with somw 30W
Thanks

With the good comes the bad. W

With the good comes the bad. While installing the head the 5th bolt striped out at about 120 lbs lbs needed 130 I can not catch a break if I start over and pull the head need a new gasket. Tought I would try sme thread sealer but figured that would not work can not get the reguired lbs. Does any one know If a heli-coil can be inserted while the head is still on?

Back