Logo

Starter drags when engine is hot

C

chris hood

I have a 351 ford engine. When

I have a 351 ford engine. When I start it cold it fires right off. After engine heats up and I shut it off and try to start it back the starter drags and doesn't wont to start back. I have replaced the water pump. Once the boat is started back up it runs great. Could it be the timing?

"Chris,
If you mean that the

"Chris,
If you mean that the starter turns over slowly then you could have a bad starter. I have seen starters that crank very well cold but don't crack well after the engine and starter get hot. The starter could have a short when hot.
If you mean that it will not fire up then I would check the coil or the coil resistor.

Hector"

"I think you are correct in pa

"I think you are correct in part about the timing. But it could also be the battery.I had a weak battery act like this a few years back. If you are not sure about the condition of the battery it's a good idea to have it load tested before you start replacing parts. There can be a number of things to cause your problem. Battery connections,cables,incorrect point setting if so equiped. To low of octane in the fuel. Engine compartment not vented well enough (holding in heat) The coolant jacket of the engine could have dirt / sand in the bottom of it causing the heat to stay in the engine block. These are the easy ones. Good luck."

I'd bet $$ it's the st

I'd bet $$ it's the starter. I just purchased two new starters (they were a deal) because my old starter is doing the exact same thing. It's on its last legs.

I also have a F351. The starter lives at the bottom of the bilge. Right next to the salt water. They don't last long.

Back