Logo

Honda 8HP wonbt idle

M

Mike Lawson

I have a 2000 Honda 8HP with l

I have a 2000 Honda 8HP with less than 10 hrs. Recently I can't get it to idle or throttle down low enough to put it into forward or reverse without it stalling out. The only way I can keep the motor running is by keeping the throttle high and the choke full to partially out. Any suggestions?

"The carb is plugged from siti

"The carb is plugged from siting up. Clean it. in the future when you store the motor, disconnect the fuel line and drain the fuel from the carb."

"I too have a 2000 Honda 8hp t

"I too have a 2000 Honda 8hp that I bought new, but it's never run well, and won't start at all now. I broke it in properly, I've always run the gas out, and it's been stored at a tilt.

I've never heard of any other 4 stroke trolling motor that requires the gas be run out. Why is that?"

"If gas sets for a long time,

"If gas sets for a long time, it starts to gel and will clog a carb...Makes no differance, 2 stroke or 4 stroke..The best thing to do,when storing your motor for the winter, is put some fuel stabilizer in your fuel and run the motor for a few minutes, leaving the fuel in the motor when you shut it off.."

"Yes, my mechanic recommended

"Yes, my mechanic recommended fuel stabilizer all the time, plus run the fuel out. However, my 4 stroke Honda and my 1996 oil injected 2 stroke 115 Mercury both run off the same tank, but my Mercury starts every time.

I still can't figure out why Honda's require the fuel to be run out, when others (e.g. Mercury's, Yamaha's, etc.) seem to run just fine without having to run the gas out during the summer. I bought a Honda because it was *supposed* to be so reliable.

I've got mine going back into the shop this week. We'll see...but I'm ready to ditch it soon if it continues to be a problem."

"Just got my 8hp back from the

"Just got my 8hp back from the shop. It was a plugged carb. I asked a couple of the mechanics if they still recommend running the gas out. One said it's good/bad - it gets the gas out, but can dry the rubber seals. Which I suspect has been happening to me. The other mechanic said just use stabil all the time. Given my Honda's unrelability from always running the gas out, I'm going to this method."

"i have a honda b100s-1700934

"i have a honda b100s-1700934 that will not idle. i have changed the fuel pump and lines, cleaned the carb and still wont idle. i can get it to idle at 3/4 choke but other than that it just dies. also i checked for vacuum leaks but couldnt find any. i took it to the shop and they couldnt find the problem either. any suggestions??"

"I have a Honda B100 from 1982

"I have a Honda B100 from 1982 or 84 that will not idle now. I have had it for 10 years, working perfectly without any troubles. I winter store always outdoor (in Sweden) under a tarpaulin, and I never use fuel stabilizer but pure some oil in the carb air intake and turn a couple of times, and then drain the carb through the drain screw at the bottom of the carb. However, this season I couldn't start it. The capacitor as well as the contact-breaker points looked burned so I changed them. I have set the cam transmission belt and the ignition angle according to shop instructions, i.e at T-mark and F-mark respectively. Still it won't idle unless I work back and forth with the chooke and throttle lever, which is quite impossible in practical use. What to do? I would be very thanksful for any hint."

the first thing to do would be

the first thing to do would be to change the fuel filter and take the carb apart and soak it in carb cleaner. also undo the 2 screws on the manual fuel pump and puch the plunger with your finger and make sure the fuel pump is working properly. if there are any air bibles in the fuel line that could cause it not to idle as well.hope this helps.

"Thanks for these tips Justin.

"Thanks for these tips Justin. I've now checked the carb, flushed all its small channels with a syringe, and checked the float-valve function. It seemed perfect, without any sign of corrsion or dirt, so I've put it back. I have also tried with new fuel after rincing the fuel lines thoroughly all the way to the carb. The manual fuel pump also works fine without producing bubbles. Still no idling! I must surrender and take it to the shop. Thanks for your hints anyway!"

I HAD PROBLEM I HIT ROCK AND T

I HAD PROBLEM I HIT ROCK AND TIMING JUMPED RESET YOUR TIMIMG BELT

"I have this same problem - on

"I have this same problem - on a ONE MONTH OLD BF8A (2008)!

I use this engine daily to commute back and forth to my car (live aboard). It has never sat more than 3 days with gas in the carb before I burn new gas through.

I tried resetting the timing belt - nothing... still won't idle.

The motor RPMs "hunt" up and down at idle, stalling at the lowest point of the hunting, sometimes.

Anyone have any ideas?

Any Honda service techs on here who understand why so many of these engines have idling problems?

I would bring mine back for warranty work, on principle, but I need the outboard to get to work. Logistically, I can't bring it in, and it's only a month old!

Very uhappy with the motor. Any ideas on this idling issue that I see all over the internet?"

Back