Logo

Alph 1 Gimble removal 12 point hex frozen

A

Art Burns

"Can't get gimble bolts ou

"Can't get gimble bolts out, they use a 12 point hex, not an allen wrench. Frozen in, have water in engine compartment must change boots on exhaust and drive shaft. any ideas ?"

They do loctite that bolt. A l

They do loctite that bolt. A little propane heat to loosen the loctite would help. As well they are torqued 90 ft lbs. Use a good size breaker bar.

if propane dosen`t work try ox

if propane dosen`t work try oxy/acet.worst case have a bolt or nut welded to the hinge pin

Try moving it in both directio

Try moving it in both directions. You stand a better chance of breaking it loose. Use a torque wrench set at 110 lbs so you know when you have past the torque of the bolts so you do not break the heads off the bolts. Leave the cheater bar and the high powered blow torch in the tool box unless you want to replace more parts. Propane should be all the heat you need.

"Hey, I just got done with wha

"Hey, I just got done with what you have to do. I had similar problem with gimble bolts on an alpha 1 Gen 2, I didn't have the templete to drill out the access holes. So I left the gimble ring in place and worked around it. Its possible but you need two people, one to hold the gimble assembly up while you work on the boots. Also check your water pickup hose for the cooling. Ours had cracks like your boots have. Oh by the way the job really sucks but worth the savings paying the marina fee."

"if you are removing the bell

"if you are removing the bell housing, the spline tool is available at a merc. dealer for about 12 bucks. and use plenty of heat. red loc-tite on there. also check this site, as I think sierra makes the tool also. dont destroy the pins. you'll cause yourself lots of grief.(and expense)"

Back