Logo

Losing Lower Unit Oil

jeffd

I recently just bought a 1994

I recently just bought a 1994 Wellcraft that has a 4.3 Mercruiser Alpha One. And after each 2-3 hour trip on the lake I lose a couple of ounces of lower unit oil. The oil is leaking under the motor in the boat. Where might my leak be? I have looked and my only guess is the bottom of the oil reservoir.

"Check for overheating of the

"Check for overheating of the drive. If it gets too hot, it will act like a radiator and push the fluid out the top of the fill cap."

"Look at a product called a &#

"Look at a product called a "Drive Shower" It takes about 15 minutes to install, 2 drill holes and a bolt. They douse the upper head with around 1 gallon of water per second."

That set up should run fine th

That set up should run fine the way it is. Don't over fill the oil res. The leak is either at the res and running down the hose or is it at the transom plate where the hose goes outside.

"I disagree with Harves. I had

"I disagree with Harves. I had the same problem with mine. After installing the drive shower, I've never seen the problem again. After 3 oil changes in the lower unit, the oil comes out each time looking like new, and I've never had to add oil to the res.."

"I'm not suggesting you&#3

"I'm not suggesting you're overfilling! As the lower unit gets hot, the fluid expands and comes out the top of the breather hole."

""The oil is leaking under

""The oil is leaking under the motor in the boat. Where might my leak be? I have looked and my only guess is the bottom of the oil reservoir."
gear oil in the bilge can come from the res,hose lines/connections,OR the yoke seal in the drive.oil will leak into the boot and then into the bildge thru the gimbal bearing."

Back