PDA

View Full Version : 1978 Chris Craft 251 Fuel Tank

capt_dan
06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
"Our mechanic is telling us that the original tank is scaling and that it is clogging our fuel pick up, causing the engine to shut down. Has anyone done a tank replacement on these boats? It has the round, 50 gallon tank in the stern. What is the best replacement for it? HELP!"

fastjeff
07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
"Buy an aluminum replacement tank, and be sure it's installed correctly. You'll ave lots of company with gasahol eating plastic fuel tanks!

Jeff"

jim_cc251
09-03-2006, 04:47 PM
"Fastjeff (or other expert),
I also have the (original?) 50 gal gavanized steel cylinrical tank in my 1978 251. The tank looks clean on the outside. Before I put ethanol in it, I ran the engine to starvation and then pumped the remains from the bottom of the tank and the gas was clean and free of any visible sediment or water. I since have run 3 tanks of ethanol (E10) through it and have not experienced any problem with even a clogged filter. I hate to fix something that is not broken. My question to you is should I just plan on replacing the tank this winter or keep using it as long as it stays clean?
Jim"

Michael Wolfe
05-28-2007, 03:44 AM
"My 251 Catalina came with two after market 60 gallon aluminum tanks mounted underneath the floor on each side to the rear of the boat. Just in case you were curious I installed a 300 H.P. Mercruiser 350 M.P.I. engine. That engine combined with a Michigan 3 bladed prop with a cup, not sure of dimensions, puts the boat at a cruising speed of 28 mph at 3200 rpm burning 14gph."