Logo

Mercruiser 3L 1996 advice to purchaser

jonny

"Hi,
I'm thinking of buyi

"Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a 1996 Fletcher Arrowstreak GTS with a Mecruiser 3litre Inboard. Would be very grateful if any one has any advice on things to look out for particularly on the engine side of things.

Thanks
Jonny."

"Gday Johnny

Have you give

"Gday Johnny

Have you given up on the OB?
The 3L's are a little rough and are known to run on, and i have seen a few self destruct but this is usually due to a poor fuel system, i believe there was a carb mod. There are a heap of them out there so i guess mercury seems to think there ok and for the amount i have seen most of them don’t cause to many probs.

Cheers Spanaman"

"Haven't given up on the O

"Haven't given up on the Ob just yet, this inboard came along at a very reasonable price. Doesn't matter anyway Iv'e just been informed it's sold too good to be true! back to the OB! Thanks for the help all the same. Another query if you have the time, what are the pros and cons on Outboard versus Inboard?

Cheers
Jonny"

Johnny
The 3L mercruiser is a

Johnny
The 3L mercruiser is a good engone
I have a 2001 and see only one flaw

Check the timing cover (behind the fly wheel ) for corossionor pinpoin leak

Same for thermostat housing

IF there is a leak W;lak away as the repsir requires a lot of work for the replacementof the aluminum housing.

sea test the boaqt and check for stalling on hard port and staroard turns
look for corrosin around starter and engine block

If it has been fresh water flushed the only other thing to look at is the gimble system

They are good engines

That engine is a shortened ver

That engine is a shortened version of the GM 250 cu. in. straight 6 engine used in GM mid-size and compact cars and full size pick-ups and vans from 1962 into the mid 1980s. A tried and true engine. Durable and about as easy to work on as a engine can get in modern times.

Back