Logo

30L oil change how much and what kind

dip_krew

"this is my first time changin

"this is my first time changing the oil on my boat, infact my first marine oil change ever, i bought a pump to get the oil out, so thats all good. now what kind of oil do i buy? regular car oil? or do i need a speciec weight and marine application?
and my last question, how much does a 3.0L merc take?

the engine is a 1985"

Regular 10 - 30 is OK. They d

Regular 10 - 30 is OK. They do make marine oil. I run synthetic in mine. You can get it at any auto zone. It should take 4 quarts. Good Luck!

"thanks, the oil in the boat i

"thanks, the oil in the boat is regular, if its anything like a car, i should not switch to synthetic right?"

"Ya, I would just run what was

"Ya, I would just run what was already in it. Gastrol 10W30 is what I would use. Take care and Good boating!"

"Modern oil, now up to a ratin

"Modern oil, now up to a rating of API-SM, will do well. At that rating the additive package that the oil company puts in has corrosion prohibitors, friction reducers and other properties, all that you would need, for any boat or automobile. Note that diesel engines have an additional rating but in this case (gasoline engine) you would use the same as you would an automobile. I would verify the viscosity (weight) recommended by the manufacturer. As with any engine keeping the oil changed is the best way to make it last long."

"You should look at synthetic,

"You should look at synthetic, for your mtor and drive. We ran a test with it and regular oil. It lowered the head temps by over 10 degrees and decreased fuel consumption by 15%!

At 100 hours, I changed the oil with 20/50 regular. (Water temps=88) Ran it and checked the head temps and averaged fuel consumption for 50 hours. At 150 hours, changed it with Castrol Snytech 5-W50. Ran it another 50 hours to make the comparisons. Engine now has 250+ hours and the number are holding.

P.S. This is a boat I regularly run 80+ MPH!"

There is much debate over whet

There is much debate over whether the higher cost of synthetics is worth any possible advantage. There are two sides. I will not go beyond that.

Back