Logo

Is the block really cracked

searaysucker

"I started up my 19' sear

"I started up my 19' sear ray 5.7l boat for the first time this year, and water was gushing heavily from below eye level on the right side. compression was still awesome. I shut it down immediately and rowed to shore (no easy feat) A mechanic looked at it, rather, started it, looked, and said "$4,000 including labour, your blocks gone" is he for real? I know nothing about motors, but when my motorcycle block went, there was oil everywhere and the compression faded to nothing before i noticed the oil .. any advice .. PLEASE!!!!!!"

"Freeze plug, cracked Manifold

"Freeze plug, cracked Manifold?
I would get second opinion or investigate your self before committing to that."

"freeze plug? sorry .. like i

"freeze plug? sorry .. like i said, totally ignorant with motors .... a cracked manifold would shoot water everywhere? if so .. thats way better than a block i would imagine ...

thanks so much for your input"

"If not properly winterized, i

"If not properly winterized, it very well could be cracked. take a closer look where the water is coming out. If the freeze plug popped out, the hole will be inbetween a nickel and quarter sized and perfect. They are generally located just below the exhaust manifolds on each side of the engine just above the oil pan (hard to see on the starter side). If the block is cracked you will definitely see it. And yes if not winterized it is common to have the manifold crack, and it is a wet exhaust (water flows through the exhaust manifolds) so it will spray water. Hopefully it is the exhaust manifold, by far a cheaper solution than a new engine(still expensive). BTW, the cracked block may still hold compression because its not cracked due to mechanical failure (i.e. a rod coming out the side of the block), it can be cracked because of freezing water inside the block during the winter."

Back