Logo

Loud Music %3d Hot enginewhat th

malibu205

"I admit I've got a lot of

"I admit I've got a lot of do-dads on my 77' Reinell / 470. So I just installed a 400 Watt Amp to go with the CD and after 30 minutes of hoopla, my usually well behaved (150 deg. or less) Temp Gauge starts climbin'.My Alternator is 80 Amp. ??
Also, how can I tell if the sea water pump / impeller is working? (The 470 has 2 cooling systems)
Thanks for your thoughts !"

"400 Watts???? I have 1200 ju

"400 Watts???? I have 1200 just to run the speakers in the cockpit.! If your pump impeller has more than 100 hours on it, do yourself a favor and change it."

"One way to check the raw wate

"One way to check the raw water pump is by removing the impeller and looking at it. If it has cracked or missing vanes, replace it. If there's an oil cooler, check it for weeds or other blockage.

Remember, there's no such thing as free power so if you have a lot of electrical accessories, the alternator is increasing the work that the motor needs to do. As the current draw increases, it's harder to turn the alternator. Also, your alternator may not have enough output for all of the accessories. At idle, the alternator won't even come close to 80 amps of output unless the pulley is undersized."

Back