Logo

Water in oil

alpineman

"just got the 120 mercruiser b

"just got the 120 mercruiser back in the boat and running after the transom replacing. after running it for 5 minutes i checked the oil and it was milky. when i changed the oil before putting the motor back in it was fine with no water in it. i pulled the manifold and in the pic you can see what i found. could this be a head gasket issue? how about the exhaust elbow? the rusty chambers are also the one the carb feeds into. i noticed when i pulled the elbow chunks of rust fell out and after looking inside the elbow it looks like its all rusty and cracked up. looking over the manifold i cant find any cracks and i pressurized it with air and no leaks. also pulled all four plugs and they look clean. any ideas?
22574.jpg
block"">

heres a pic of the inside of the elbow. it looks like there are two different housings in it. one for exhaust and water on the outside of that but with the chunks missing water could come into the exhaust opening.
22575.jpg
elbow

ok i just finished draining th

ok i just finished draining the oil and it is milky but i drained out dam near the same amount as i put in. another thing i was thinking about is a guy had the boat and was supposed to get it running for me but after 3 weeks and no work being done i picked it back up. when i picked it up the flame arrestor was not on the carb and it had rained hard for a few days prior. could this have been the source of the water in the oil? also the motor had been sitting for 2 years before dropping it back in.

"Replace manifold and riser, I

"Replace manifold and riser, Its a lot cheeper than a new motor.
At least you discoverd it before it became a real big problem."

"I would buy new only. boatrep

"I would buy new only. boatrep1 told me about basic marine they ship out of NC, Free shipping if you buy over $100 in parts (and it will be)

P.S. try there web site."

"exhaust manifolds always new

"exhaust manifolds always new without question. at least you dont have to replace two
so look at the bright side. Good luck"

Back