Logo

Coupler replacement on Alpha 1 1987

freeway1949

"Anyone out there know what I

"Anyone out there know what I can expect to pay for a coupler replacement on a 1987 Alpha1 stern drive. I have pulled the lower unit and inspected the u-joint and can get the prop shaft to move to forward, neutral and reverse, however I have detected metal shavings on the input shaft (to which there is no damage) and suspect coupler. The part itself runs about 75.00 but the replacement looks rather labor intense. Also, are there any other parts that should be replaced while the upper unit is disassembled."

"Check lower shift cable, gimb

"Check lower shift cable, gimble bearing , bellows, also good time to do water pump/impeller.
Good thing its coupler that's bad and not upper gear set!
Where did you find metal shavings?"

"Paul: Shift cables, gimble b

"Paul: Shift cables, gimble bearing and bellows all look good. I will change the impellar and lower unit lube while I have it off. The metal shavings were noticed on the geared end of the input shaft, any ideas on cost for coupler replacement, I'm on a limited budget here!"

"Metal shaveings on spline end

"Metal shaveings on spline end of shaft may be from coupler. I have not had to replace my coupler yet, (knock on wood) Part is not expensive, Just labor $$$ unless you do it your self. Motor has to be removed most of the time but older style you may not have to, Give it a shot and good luck.
P.S let me know how it goes."

"Paul: Thanks for the feed-ba

"Paul: Thanks for the feed-back, I'll let you know how this comes out but It's gotta go to the shop as I don't have the necessary alignment tools or the equipment to pull the motor. Time is a factor as well as this bad-Dad has gotta be ready for the Salmon season!!"

Its a Good idea to have shop c

Its a Good idea to have shop check exhaust Y pipe
only time to work on that is when motor is out.

Happy fishing!!

"This is a remove the engine j

"This is a remove the engine job. No way around it. But a good mechanic can do this without much work if they know the tricks of the trade. If you have removed the drive look into the gimble area past the bearing with a flash light and check the coupler for damage. If the rubber looks ok and the spline's are not real worn chance is you may have cought it in time. If the splines were ran dry you will have metal on the input shaft. If the drive came off easy there may not be any real damage to the coupler. The coupler is about 200 bucks not 75 unless it is used. Make sure to use spline grease when you install it again. By the way,why did you pull the drive off in the first place? If the boat wouldn't move then the coupler very well could be shot."

"I pulled the lower unit to do

"I pulled the lower unit to do an inspection of the in-put shaft, the u-joint and to check the impeller. (implellers are much easier to replace with the lower unit off). Are you sure about the 200 bucks for a coupler? I searched I-boats for the part and found it for 72 and change."

"I have a 1989 Mercruiser as w

"I have a 1989 Mercruiser as well with the same symptoms. When I took off the lower unit, I saw the same thing on the input shaft...metal filings in the grooves on the shaft. The engine coupler needed replaced. It took 10 hours of labor as the engine needs to be pulled to replace the coupler. Now here is my question for the pros---within 4 engine hours after using the boat, I started hearing a clicking noise that sounded like a bearing was going. The noise got louder and louder until the engine just stopped. If you don't line the engine up properly on re-installation, what can happen? Bearings go? Thank you"

Back