Logo

Help Please Gear Problems Johnson 25 hp

taschinn

"Recently managed to get the p

"Recently managed to get the pump on my 25 hp 3 cylinder loop charged Johnson going as I replaced with a new pump kit. Its all installed and the lower unit attached and works like a pearl. Problem is, the gears seem not to line up. In neutral its ok; then in forward ok, but when go back to neutral it is still in fwd gear. Will go back to neutral when going beyond the neutral mark and just into the reverse gear zone. Do I have major problems? I think if I could somehow adjust the positioning of the 'gear arm' then all will be solved. Your help is much appreciated and I thank you in advance. Cheers, Tas."

"You may have rubbed the adjus

"You may have rubbed the adjustment of the lower shift rod when You had the gear housing down!If I remember right , not too many of Your model, You have a neutral-detent on the shift arm at the engine,. However there is even a neutral detent in the gear housing.
Take down the water sceens at the gear housing and split the shift rod, shift the lever at the engine in reverse. Operate the lower shiftrod till You feel the neutral position in the gear box. Carefully shift the lever toward neutral at the engine. When in neutral the upper rod shall just touch the lower rod. If not, screw the lower rod up or down. Assemble the rod and test at the shift lever. The lever should be about vertical, and movement from netral to forward and neutral to reverse shall be the same.
Hope this solves the problem and that this page gets back to normal operation soon!"

Back