Logo

Alpha 1 SternDrive Major problem after being serviced

visitor

Regular Contributor
"After having the waterpump on

"After having the waterpump on the lower unit replaced along with lower unit seals due to experience of overheating while idleing and gear oil topped off by a new marina mechanic.

I test drove the boat at 2000 rpm for about 25 minutes and all of a sudden a whoosh sound came from the engine area and the motor stopped. I was unable to turn the engine, just a click sound and a thump vibrating on the hull. I took the boat back home and did some diagnostics, I removed the top cover of the upper unit on the sterndrive to find the bearings shot, 1 roller bearing is missing and no gear oil visible. I took the boat to the marina shop and we drained the lower unit with the upper unit cover open, only a half cup or gear oil came out with a little water visible.

My question is: where did the oil go to, is it possible the water pump was not installed correctly and the oil was sucked out?

Is the stern drive dependable even if the metal shavings are cleaned out?"

"Sounds like someone forgot to

"Sounds like someone forgot to put oil in the drive, and a full overhaul needed. Reassemble, pressure and vacuum test it. No leaks probably means no oil, if it leaks it should have been picked up by someone, unless you gathered some fishing line or something like that."

"Thanks for your reply,
you

"Thanks for your reply,
you mention if fishing line was involved. The prop shows no sign of being caught with fishing line or other. I am planning on taking my boat to a different marina repair shop and pay them for evaluating and diagnosis of the cause of the problem.
The repair shop that did the waterpump replacement after seeing the damage, they gave me the option to give my money back and if I wanted them to do the repairs, that i will have to pay them up front for the parts, which i could get from them at wholesale prices and of course additional cost for labor.
I asked them to give me a better option, if i am not satisfied, I will have another marina repair shop to fix it and I will be contacting an attorney if I find that their services were neglected in the waterpump replacement and the testing of seals in the sterndrive.
We will see, so far I am out of a boat and looking at hundreds of dollars for repairs."

Back