Logo

Wierd power loss 1985 57 GMC

1jeff1

"At first I had many problems

"At first I had many problems but all seem to have been taken care of. Some of which were back firing, power loss (all the time) and a strange idling problem (high and then low).

When running the boat now, it starts fine, idles good and the power is fine after replacing nearly the entire ignition system and cleaning the fuel system with replacing all filters and seperators.

Now after running the boat off and on for several hours and with still a half tank of gas. It mysteriously looses power and stops all together as if it just ran out of gas. It only does this once throughout the day, usually when we are on our way back in. After sitting for a few minutes, it hesitates to starts but then does and runs fine the rest of the way back in? If it were a fuel delivery problem, would it noy do it more regularly?

What I can not figure out is I would expect this if I were towing a skiier, which we do the entire first half of the day, but we are just cruising back in when it does this and only does it once towards the end of the day, wierd?

I actually though I was running out of gas as now I have found the fuel guage is terribly off, reading near empty when there is a half tank left.

I have not checked fuel pressure yet and I really have not the tools to do so. If that may be suspect please advise the best way and or any other possible avenues.

Thanks in advance, Jeff, as the kids have missed the boat these past few weekends."

"sounds like classic water in

"sounds like classic water in the fuel, add dry gas to the tank, one bottle for each 15 gal, the separator will only trap about 4 oz of water. If it gets filled it needs to be dumped out and put back on."

Back