Logo

Omc cobra lower unit nightmarevolvo sx or king cobra swap

91mariah50omc

"ok, i have a 91 mariah mx20 w

"ok, i have a 91 mariah mx20 with a ford 5.0 HO engine and a omc cobra outdrive. i had the lower unit rebuilt last july, pretty much a year ago now. i ended up with a crack that i am convinced was there when it was rebuilt. the crack is right where one of the bearings are at and i tried haveing it welded and it did not hold. i have bought one housing and it was the wrong one. i also have a king cobra upper and lower unit that needs to be rebuilt but i have it and i beleive it would be a easy rebuild. i have several options right now. i can buy a new housing and use all of the internals out of my existing unit. i could buy a entire new lower unit. i could find a transom for the king cobra and rebuild it and use it. i have also read that i can install a volvo sx onto the omc, my question here is wether or not it is the lower unit or the upper and lower unit that you can swap and what is needed to do this. can the king cobra swap onto it?? im trying to do this half way affordable and im gonna do all the work myself so i can save on the labor. i have overhualed engines and done uncountable engine swaps on cars. i also disassembled my lower unit to have it welded and reassembled it with no issues. nothing to it, people made it sound so scary! i have already past up a complete volvo upper and lower unit on ebay for 1300 dollars that i should of jumped on. another issue is gear ratios, is this a huge issue? can i swap the gears in any of the units to make them compatable for my set up or are they matched to the housings? im so confused and at this point its not gonna be cheap, the normal cobra has left me with a bad taste in my mouth, so i dont know if repairing it is the way to go. another thing, how much damage could be caused if the units filled with water? is there any chance the internals are still good? the king cobras bearings in the lower unit are for sure shot to hell but it still spins and the gears engage. i also have a lower unit housing for a cobra so if anyone needs one i may have the correct one for you. thanks for any help! joshua [email protected]"

"A lot of questions, but befor

"A lot of questions, but before I start I would like he following answers.
Is it the 'old' king cobra with clutch og shift or the 'new' with cone shift you have?
Do You have the shimming tools to do the job properly?"

"i do not know for sure but i

"i do not know for sure but i think that its the newer king cobra drive. i may be parting it out soon. i found a used housing in town yesterday that is a match! it cost me 400 dollars but its the same, heres the problem, my brand new gears have a chipped tooth on the foward gear and the pinion gear shows wear. i think when i reassebled the lower unit last time i didnt get the pinion gear nut tight cause it was loose, thats my own fault. well anyways as soon as i get the gears, the guy that rebuilt it last time said he would shim the whole unit for me and tighten the pinion nut with the proper tools for me for free! that was nice of him but the other marina said it was his fault it cracked in the first place. im not gonna place blame, the fact is im gonna have it fixed and get back on the river already. anyone have gears?? i guess any omc cobra v6 or v8 gears will work but they have to have the 5 degree correction that the newer ones have. if all goes as planned i will have a fresh lower unit for under 700 bucks, not bad considering i was gonna buy a used one for 750"

"does anyone know about shifti

"does anyone know about shifting problems that might result after swapping a 4.3 with the standard OMC Cobra outdrive to a 5.7 OMC Spitfire using the same standard Cobra outdrive? The swap has been done and everything bolted up and runs fine, but my local mechanic cannot get the cable adjusted well enough to satisfy him. If anyone knows how to remedy this, I would appreciate it very much. My mechanic is telling me the best way would be change the outdrive to the "King Cobra" so everything would work smoothly. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Scott:
If needed please move

Scott:
If needed please move this to another post by 'start new thread' button.
However it should be no problem providing You have the correct shift assist module.

Back