Logo

Can anyone help

ryan0987

I just got my first boat it ha

I just got my first boat it has a 3.0 merc in it sup rebuilt. Heres my problem and Im in know way a mech. When I try to start it it cranks fine and runs as long as I hold the key in the starting pos. keeping the starter held when I let go of the starter it stops running. I know its bad on my starter so I need help before I burn it up! When I holding the starter I can give it gas and it reves up. But only when Im holding the starter???? Can anyone help? I have searched but have found anyone with the same prob! Im sure its something simple well I hope!!! Thanks guys Ive read alot and you guys know your stuff!

"Have you checked the safety s

"Have you checked the safety switch? If there's no lanyard on it or if the switch is bad, it'll do exactly what you described."

"The safety switch is on the t

"The safety switch is on the throttle control. It may have a red button that pulls out when the lanyard is in place. If you pull this out manually and crank it, it may run. My friend bought a boat in Feb and his had a problem with it. Replaced the switch and fixed it.

It can be bypassed but the connecetion needs to be remade so it's totally reliable. Otherwise, it'll stop running, at the worst possible time. Look on the back of the throttle control for a pair of purple wires, then look for any butt connectors on the wires. If you want to stick a paperclip into the connectors, this will bypass the switch but make sure the paperclip doesn't touch anything that's grounded to the battery."

"William, If the boat is 1986

"William, If the boat is 1986 or older, and has points ignition, it also may have a ballast resistor(or resistor wire) to lower the voltage to the points when running. If this resistor or wire goes bad, you will only get good voltage to the points when cranking the motor. Easiest way is to check for voltage at the Plus side of the ignition coil, when the key is in the run position. It should be ~8Volts DC. If no or low voltage, trace the circuit and find the problem."

Well I took the two wires loos

Well I took the two wires loose from the back of the circuit breaker and put them together and same problem? Im lost it has to be something simple! Why would it run when I hold down the starter and not when I let off? Could it be in the key switch? O and the boat is a 1990 glasstream.

I had someone tell me to check

I had someone tell me to check the IGNITION STARTER SWITCH Im going to buy one tom. and check it out!

"And if that doesn't work,

"And if that doesn't work, jump 12 volts to the + terminal of the coil and see if that does it. (If it does, as I suspect, the ballast resistor/ resistance wire is open circuited somewhere.)

Jeff"

William it could be the key sw

William it could be the key switch that goes to ground or open when you let go

Remove the key switch and short the contacts and if she starts and runs replace the swtich

Back