Logo

Stalled 37

S

Sir Stallsalot

"I just got a "new" bo

"I just got a "new" boat. An '88 Wellcraft w/ a Mercruiser 3.7. It's a single carb set-up w/ standard ignition. During my pre-purchase ride, the seller indicated to me (and showed me) that the engine routinely stalls when taken from reverse to nuetral. It started right back up so I didn't think much about it. Other than that it ran perfectly. Everything was rebuilt 10/05.
In my first outing, I accidentally found myself at a lake which does not permit speeds over 10 mph. We ran around for an hour or so, going between 5 - 10 mph, but never putting it in nuetral. It ran great. However, upon our return to the dock, I put it in nuetral and it stalled. It wouldn't start again except at fairly high throttle. Then every time I'd go to put it in nuetral it would stall.
Any clues where I should start looking?"

"Stallsalot, First of all, mak

"Stallsalot, First of all, make sure your idle speed is within specifications. Reset if necessary. Too high an idle could cause the issue. Also, look at the motor while trying to put it into neutral. See if the ignition cut our switch (upper shift cable on top of the motor) is activated and kills the motor. If so, the lower shift cable is likely bad."

"Thanks guys. I'll apolgiz

"Thanks guys. I'll apolgize in advance for my stupid questions.

Can't this lower shift cable be adjusted?

There's a cut out switch on the shifter? Interesting, why? It is almost as if I turn off the ignition. It doesn't run rough, just stops.

Thanks for your input, I'm a good mechanic but totally new to boats. Any info explaining how all this is supposed to work is greatly appreciated."

"Sounds like your shift interr

"Sounds like your shift interrupter that momentarily stalls the engine while you shift gears. If it's sticking, it will cut out and not engage power again...should be on the port side below the exhaust manifold. Thats is why all goes dead and will not start again. jiggle it up and down for a quick check...Not necessarily a need to replace cable..."

Back