Logo

Lost power the engine cavitated then lost forward and reverse HELP

teckles

"i was cruising at 38 mph and

"i was cruising at 38 mph and i started to lose speed. 3 seconds later the lower unit disengaged and the engine cavitated. i put it in neutral and then neither forward or reverse worked. no noise just no gear. i shut it down and got a tow.
I got it home and put the muffs on and restarted the engine, but it was not peeing thru the exhaust so i assume the impeller is gone.
a buddy says that it is "the engine to outdrive coupler that mounts to the flywheel"
is that what usually happens when the impeller goes in a mercruiser, and what is a typical cost to repair?"

"Cavitation as i know it is wh

"Cavitation as i know it is when you turn the boat too sharp and the prop comes out of the water and the RPM's race.... that is what it sounded like.
I'm sure it will cost me big bucks, because it is my luck. Any idea what the cost should be? i don't want to pay $1000 if it is a $500 job. Know what i mean?"

"Your impeller might be ok. Tu

"Your impeller might be ok. Turn over motor and see if shaft going through transom is turning,
if not its coupler if so its upper gear set.
Or go ahead and remove drive and check that way, you may as well replace impeller when you have it off it's not as hard that way.
p.s what year and type is your out drive?"

"By the way i know exactly wha

"By the way i know exactly what you mean.
your doing the right thing, patience and research saves $$$$$"

"usually when i shift into gea

"usually when i shift into gear there is a clunk(after all it is a mercruiser), but now it does nothing in either for. or rev. it almost seems the cable is broken, but i can see on the top of the motor it is working fine.
The year is a 1992 boat alpha 1, but i am not sure if it is gen 1 or 2. any way i can find out? it does not say so i would assume it is a gen 1."

"The lower units will look a l

"The lower units will look a little different just under anti-vent. plate and behind zinc anode,
also gen 1 has a plastic water pump housing and gen 2 has a stainless steel housing."

PLEASE HELP! Merc 3.0 alpha 1

PLEASE HELP! Merc 3.0 alpha 1 gen 2. Just installed rebuilt engine. Started and sounded good. Installed outdrive drove to the lake and started on trailer in water. Serious vibration and clanking noise that seems to come from the rear of the engine? Any suggestions???

"This is my first time to use

"This is my first time to use this forum so bear with me. I am not for sure? It did not do it until we installed the outdrive. And it was vibrating really bad, even in neutral. We noticed that there was a missing bolt in the manifold, that was sucking air. We plugged it and it got a 50% better. But still doesn't sound right??? Thanks for responding!"

did you rebuild the carb? or u

did you rebuild the carb? or use the old one? poss sucked in trash on the way to the water. poss vacuum tube. poss motor mount or poss linkage between the motor and outdrive is out of alignment. good luck.

I used the carb from the previ

I used the carb from the previous engine. Do you know if the coupler was bad would it make that noise in neutral. Could it be that we didn't get the alignment right when we installed the outdrive?

"So do you think that it sound

"So do you think that it sounds like an alignment problem. How long would you have to run it like that before it screwed the coupler, gimbal etc. I only ran it on the trailer in neutral off and on for a few minutes? If it is alignment, just take the outdrive off check with tool, then re-install? I am going to take it off and fire it up to see if there are any sounds? If none this is must be alignment, I hope? Thanks"

Back