Logo

1st time boat buyermany questions please help

gunnerdogg

"Hey everyone,
I'm curren

"Hey everyone,
I'm currently looking to buy a used boat. I have a few in mind that are betwen 1988 - 1992. Every one has the 3.o litre Mercruiser I/O 130HP. What is the lowdown on these motors? Any suggestions or advice? What are the warning signs I should consider when buying a used boat? What about Mercruiser vs. OMC? I've been told to stay away from Yamaha sterndrives as well. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Eric
proud.gif
"

"3.0 merc is a good motor , ea

"3.0 merc is a good motor , easy to work on (you have to work on all of them ) and good on fuel . if you have a big family and lots of friends it may not be enough power. get a compresion test on any motor /boat you are going to buy and test run it on the water. Mercruiser parts and shops are easer to find."

"Eric, Mercruiser is pobably

"Eric, Mercruiser is pobably the best sterndrive during the period you cited. The 3.0L engine was very popular, but like all inline 4cly engines, it has some vibration issues. I have a '88 Mercuriser V6 4.3LX, which I like very much. The V6 runs much smoother and has 205HP. It likely does not get the same economy as the 3.0, however.

I have heard that the 3.0L is not used as an automotive powerplant. That means you will need to go to Mercruiser for all repair parts (long blocks, intakes ect), which can normally be found aftermarket, since the auto industry shares blocks. Note: You must only use marine approved parts for alternators, starters, carbs, fuel pumps, exhaust manifolds, solenoids etc."

Back