Logo

Johnson 25 hp pumpimpeller faulty

taschinn

Recently purchased used 3 cyli

Recently purchased used 3 cylinder 25 hp Johnson (J25R3EEM) 1999. Water no longer coming out. Suspect water pump/impeller faulty?? Would like advice on how to approach a DIY service. Any links/instructions will be appreciated. Thank you.

would recommend getting a repa

would recommend getting a repair manual that covers that series of motors--they take you through the process step by step
available here and on other sites--
once you know what parts you need you can also get them here and on other sites--

"I have a 1999 Short Shaft 25H

"I have a 1999 Short Shaft 25HP, low hours, and did not use at all last year. Was doing maintenance, and put in a new water pump impellor. I have good flow out of the exhaust relief but no water out of tell tale, and tell tale is not blocked. I took the lower unit back off and verified the impellor is in OK, and the fins are bent the right way for clockwise engine rotation, keyway in, etc. Put it back together and same thing happens. Rev to fast idle, lots of water out of exhaust relief, slow idle, just a little, but no water out of tell tale, and moter powerhead gets hot within a few minutes. Could it be a stuck thermostat? I am planning on pulling the head next...suppose I should get a new gasket and thermostat. This is a 2 cyl 2 stroke 1999. A small amount of exhaust comes out the tell tale...on a car this would mean a leaky had gasket, but outboards are wierd with the mixing of exhaust and water, so I am not sure.
Help!!!"

Back