Logo

Sea Water in TWO FWC 454 Crusader Mdl 350 engines

pjmarcus

"I replaced Mercruiser engines

"I replaced Mercruiser engines with rebuilt Crusader 454 model 350 engines in a SeaRay 340. After about 20 hours the starboard engine locked with salt water in the cylinders. After pulling plugs and pushing out water engine was restarted. The mechanic states the elbow probably was the source. Now at 70 hours BOTH engines are water locked and two mechanics have no idea of the source. This occurred in the berth. The coolant tanks are full so it is salt water. They insist the mufler/exhaust system is properly installed. There was 2 gallons of salt water in the oil pan of the SB engine so it isn't in the gas. This engine ran on Tueday and was locked on Thursday! Any ideas of what is going on? Also, they are now "pickled". Can they sit for awhile while I look for an answer or should they come apart immediately?"

"Phil- What was the reason for

"Phil- What was the reason for replacing the original motors, was it water ingestion related? What from that installation was reused? During the swap, were there any changes made to the exhaust system? Were flappers or risers omitted? What is the down angle of the exhaust?

You will want to get the water out and get them running again right away. The longer that water stays in there the less chance you have of saving them."

"Listen to Rick! The clock is

"Listen to Rick! The clock is ticking...

Those motors are notorious for sucking water in. I suspect the risers may not be 'rising' high enough, along with the usual suspects: Bad flappers. The fact that water came in while it merely sitting there says the risers need to be higher.

Jeff

PS: You can buy extensions to raise the risers higher (space permitting). Why this should be necessary is puzzling, unless the new engines used different risers (lower). Also, the fact that BOTH motors are doing this kinda rules out bad flappers--you wouldn't expect four of them to go bad at once?"

I have in stalled higher riser

I have in stalled higher risers on a set of 454's in Haiti for a guy that had the same problem with his engines. It solved the problem.
You will want to get the engines cleaned out ASAP.
Good Luck

If the the risers will not fit

If the the risers will not fit or do not work. Install large ball valves that are to be closed when the boat is not in use in the water. I have seen this done a few times.

THANK YOU ALL!! These answers

THANK YOU ALL!! These answers confirm some advice from other mechanics in the area all pointing to the same source of the problem - riser height - with spacers available and specified.

Rick - The former engines were Mercruiser 370's. The OLD muffler and exhaust past the risers and elbows on the 454's were reused without modification. The reason for the replacement WAS water in one of the old engines which my mechanic immediately and without investigation diagnosed as a rusted out block.
I'm guessing no change was made to the exhaust angle AND SeaRay has informed me the original installation at the factory was different for the exhaust system if the optional 454 motors were chosen.

I am a power boat virgin and I'm afraid I was too trusting of my mechanic who apparently doesn't know how much he doesn't know and is not careful enough.

AT THIS POINT MY MECHANIC IS UNABLE TO TURN THE ENGINES SO THEY ARE NOT ACTUALLY "PICKLED". HE HAS NO SOLUTION OTHER THAN REMOVING THE PLUGS. I HAVE ANOTHER MECHANIC COMING WHO HOPEFULLY WILL GET IT DONE. ANY SUGGESTION IN THIS AREA ALSO WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATED.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL.

Back