Logo

ENGINE STALLS

R

rhodester41

1975 140HP MERCURY INBOARD SEE

1975 140HP MERCURY INBOARD SEEMS TO RUN GREAT THEN STALLS. I USED THE RIGHT TANK AND DID NOT HAVE AN ISSUE BUT WHEN I SWITCHED TO THE LEFT TANK IT STALLED AFTER AFTER ABOUT 10 MIN AT FAST SPEED. I SAT WITH THE MOTOR OFF FOR ABOUT 5 MIN AND THEN IT STARTED AND RAN AGAIN AND HAD THE SAME ISSUE. I REPLACED THE FUEL PUMP AND FILTER ALREADY. I WONNDER IF THERE IS SOME DIRT IN THE TANK THAT THE PICK UP LINE IS PICKING UP. ANY ANSWERS WILL BE HELPFULL.

"well its obviously something

"well its obviously something between the left tank and the fuel pump. First, does it have fresh gas in it? Is the fuel line clogged or kinked? Pull the tank, flush it, replace the line, and that should eliminate the problem. Water in the fuel could also pose a problem.

caps are considered yelling on the web."

"The cheapest thing to try is

"The cheapest thing to try is a piece of fuel line. Hook it up to the tank and see if anything changes. Before doing this, take the time to remove the fuel pickup and if it's mounted to a plate on the tank, remove that too and look inside for debris. If you have a way to pump or siphon gas out of the tank, do that first. A primer bulb works great for this kind of thing."

"The first place I would start

"The first place I would start is with the anti-siphon valve,it seems to me like the "pull"from the pump is giving you fuel,just not enough,it will run on what is in the line, then starves at the valve,which in time willSLOWLY fill the line again till you use the fuel in the line and it goes dry again,the valve is at the very end of the fuel line on the tank end,I think they cost like $10 or something,easy fix,major headache.does anyone know how to adjust the new style shift plate switches,I got a alpha-1 that just keeps stalling in reverse."

Back