Logo

470 swap

P

pdurand

"I have a 84 Searay Monaco wit

"I have a 84 Searay Monaco with a Merc 470. Love the boat, hate the motor. It runs fine and all, but can barely pull me out of the water on 1 ski. Is it reasonable to drop in a bigger motor or should I just consider a new boat. How would I know if the boat could handle the additional weight? Would a newer/bigger motor match up with my drive - or would i need a new one of those too. Thanks."

"Put a lesser pitch prop on it

"Put a lesser pitch prop on it (or get yours repitched) and you'll think the motor grew another two cylinders! Seriously. If you have an aluminum prop (probably) a prop shop can take 2 inches of pitch off it, and that will make a huge difference. you will loose some top end speed, though.

Jeff

PS: The effect is like shifting to a lower gear to climb a hill."

"I already tried that. I went

"I already tried that. I went from a 21 to a 19 Stainless. I thought I was doing pretty good, until I skied behind a V8 which I thought was going to yank my arms out of the sockets. That got me thinking about putting in a bigger motor."

"your 470 will probably run be

"your 470 will probably run best with a 17-16 pitch on it, they just won't trun up with a speed prop. my 18ft crestliner with a 470 will run close to 38 wot@4500 rpm... and that's perfect conditions!!! i think you need more engine..lol... this will never come close to a V8"

Back