Logo

Mercruiser Alpha One starter removal

D

Dave Carson

"I see there are several quest

"I see there are several questions about removing a starter from a Mercruiser engine, but they don't seem to help me. Maybe someone could help. I have a 1992 Bayliner Capri with a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One engine. I cannot find all the bolts. The starter is an ARCO (#30124 in think). There is one bolt I removed at the end of the starter (rear of engine and one long bolt (about 4" or so) under the starter on the engine side. The starter still will not budge, can anyone help on the loction of additional bolts? Thanks"

"The 2nd Bolt is about 3"

"The 2nd Bolt is about 3" from the 1 you Removed,........
If you got the 1 Nearest the Block,... The other is just Out from it......"

it will also help if you find

it will also help if you find a picture of your starter online. Just look it up on ebay or sumn so you can see exactly where the two bolts will be.

"yea, see the two holes right

"yea, see the two holes right above where the gear is? The bolt runs from the bottom up, all the way through (4 inches or so) on the left. The same with the hole on the right except the bolt is much shorter. Good find Andrew."

"Okay, I think I'm good no

"Okay, I think I'm good now. Thanks very much for all the information"

This place is great! I have a

This place is great! I have a '91 Regal with this starter and never would have figured out the bolts were on the bottom without this thread.
I had to loosen what looks like a fuel pump to romove a small bolt at the rear as well but then she came out. Thanks!

"Just for future advice. Don&

"Just for future advice. Don't pull the ass end of the starter off. It has metal brush things in there that are spring loaded and damn near impossible to get back in right if you havn't done it before.

Basically, don't disassemble the starter housing on the end with the two small star bolts in it."

Back