Logo

Excessive Water in Gas Tank

"Paul, I pulled the gas line

"Paul, I pulled the gas line from the carb. and pumped gas into a bottle and it was about a fourth water. Engine will not run, sputters and stalls out. Inline filter was plugged with sediment."

"Paul, The local mechanic sugg

"Paul, The local mechanic suggested that I tilt the trailer up and to one side ( so the gas will go to the corner ) and try to siphin or use the oil pump to get the water out. I've been gone for two days so have not had a chance to try."

"Paul, What the mechanic says

"Paul, What the mechanic says is sage, however, only use a pump rated for gasoline, or you may have a fire. Those drill-powered pumps always catch fire when pumping gas. The shake-shake siphons are safe to use. I usually remove the gas guage sender cover, and stick the siphon in there and "vacuum" the bottom of the tank while the siphon is working. The water will settle out and you can reuse the gas. If you have a 5 gal clear bottle, you will see the water."

"Chris,
I pumped it out using

"Chris,
I pumped it out using my manuel oil pump. Worked good. Thanks for responding. There was alot of water in that gas."

"I'm thinking that i may h

"I'm thinking that i may have a similar problem. I replaced my gas tank vent (which had a black plastic ???? something around it with a plain-jane one) it seems that when I stop suddenly, the water might enter that vent. Could this be the cause of skipping after about 2 hours on water?"

"Brian, Where is your vent lo

"Brian, Where is your vent located ? If your getting water through the vent then you could be sucking water into the carb. Why did you replace the vent to begin with?"

Back