Logo

Evinrude software questions

J

John D.

"Hi,
I have a 99 225 that jus

"Hi,
I have a 99 225 that just quit out on the water and now wont even attemp to start. I bought the software to check out the problem. The first time I ran the software I got 7 intermittent codes 16,81,82,83,84,85&86. The 16 refers to the crankshaft sensor not being gapped correctly or failed. The others are for each of the coil packs. After looking over the crank sensor I relized it hadnt move out of adjustment. And there was no reasonable reason for all the coil packs to go bad at once. So I checked all the fuses and they were good and I checked the crank sensor and it tested good. Then I cleared all the codes and attempted to start it again and got just the codes 81 thru 86. Is this telling me that the emu is bad or is there a code the actually tells you when the emu is bad ? Any & all help is welcome !!! Thanks in advance !!!"

Theese kind of intermittent er

Theese kind of intermittent error messages is normally a sign of some poor grounding somewhere! Check and clean all ground connections to the ecm.

"Hi Morten,
Would a poor grou

"Hi Morten,
Would a poor ground keep it from starting at all ?

Thanks,
John"

"Yes.
But the ground failure

"Yes.
But the ground failure may not be in the ground points, I have experienced bad contact in the connectors going into the ECU. Quite a mess to sort out some times as it is difficult to put load on a ground circuit! An Ohm test may tell you everything is ok, but that is not always tru. The 'funny' thing about how this system work on this engine is that it operates not by putting current on the components but actually grounding them in the ECU.
Note that theese engines are rather choosy about battery capacity and crancing voltage. They may cranck, but not fire if voltage is too low."

Back