Logo

MerCruiser 120 not starting quickly

J

johnbucci

"Background info: I recently

"Background info: I recently had the alternator replaced. Now, when I start the boat cold, it is somewhat slow to start. After I use the boat for 10 minutes or more, and I shut it down, it is REALLY slow to start. Sometimes I have to wait around in the middle of the lake for 15 minutes, and it cranks for a long time, and then starts. Any ideas?"

Do you have a distributor? Poi

Do you have a distributor? Points or electronic?

"To tell you the exact truth,

"To tell you the exact truth, I don't know. But I'm 99% sure there is a distributor. It is an '89 MerCruiser if that provides any insight.

Thanks for the help...

(Incidentally, this is my friend's boat - and while I'm certainly not a mechanic, I am trying to help)"

Find the distributor. Lift the

Find the distributor. Lift the distributor cap and see if it has points and a condenser or an electronic module.

And put a volt meter on the ba

And put a volt meter on the battery terminals with the engine running. You should see 13 to 14.5 volts. I suspect you aren't.

jeff

"Thanks, I will check both of

"Thanks, I will check both of these items on Saturday and get back to you..."

"possibly faulty ballast ignit

"possibly faulty ballast ignition. earth out the wire going to the points and measure the voltage on the ignition side of the coil, then crank over motor, the voltage should rise above the first reading you had. if it does not you need to check the ballast circuit which i can explain later."

The voltage was only reading 1

The voltage was only reading 10-12 volts while the engine was running. The engine has points and a condenser.

It sounds like a weak coil but

It sounds like a weak coil but first try a new condenser. If that does not do it get a new coil. Be sure to get the right coil. Some require outside ballast and some do not.

Back