Logo

43 How to Verify Freeze Crack Block Repair

C

CottageBoatGuy

"Hi, new to this forum. I am p

"Hi, new to this forum. I am purchasing a used boat. At present, I have located a unique hull that is no longer produced, 18.5', 4.3 LX drive (1989). Prepurchase inspection by my mechanic revealed a probable freeze crack in engine after starting (on land with muffs), water was observed leaking out in a steady stream. Seller appears to have considerable mechanical skills on heavy equipment (trucks, etc), and instead of reducing purchase price allowing me to look after repairs, is now attempting to "weld" block via a machine shop. All instinct tells me I should now walk away, however, I'm still struggling with this. If he confirms he is able to repair "successfully", I plan to request a minimum 30 minute hard run, in water test to ensure that no water is entering the engine oil. I assume that by my reviewing the dipstick and engine oil condition before and after, I will be able to identify any change to a "milky" condition in oil.

My questions: 1) Does anybody have any comments on experience with this type of attempted external only repair. Searching this site and discussions with others has identified some success with JBWeld or welding, but can these repairs be considered reliable?? 2) Any other simple and effective tests I should consider???? 3) If there is internal damage, is it likely I will see a change in oil condition just by looking at the dipstick before and after a hard run???

Thank you in advance for any input.

CB"

"A cracked block reduces the s

"A cracked block reduces the structural integrity of the block and will normally cause problems later. 4.3l engines will usually crack inside before out side so this should be of some concern. If he is unwilling to discount for a potentially devastating problem and wants to(crutch) fix it, what else has he neglected to fix correctly. the 4.3l while a great little engine, are susetpable to crank failure. I would walk away unless the boat is something you dont mind putting a substantial amount of money into. The only accurate way to check for water in the oil is to remove the oil filter. hope this helps, good luck."

"Thanks for quick input guys.

"Thanks for quick input guys. I do consider the current engine to be a junker, but seller doesn't. I can't spend $$$$ on a problem motor, knowing I'll need to spend again to repower sooner rather than later.

CB"

Back