Logo

30 140hp starter removal

G

gregory j

I'm having a difficult tim

I'm having a difficult time locating the mounting bolts on the starter. The boat is an 84 Sea Ray if that helps. I've found one mounting bolt on the front of the starter and a couple of possibilities on the side furthest the motor but i thought i might look for suggestions here. i appreciate any help!

"they go straight up from the

"they go straight up from the bottom. two bolts, I think they are 1/2". It should fall out after that."

thanks for you post russ! hmm

thanks for you post russ! hmmm..i don't see any studs on the bottom. there is one bolt on the bottom of the starter on the side nearest the engine but it doesn't look like a mounting stud. i took a pic of the starter i could upload and post if that would help identify. thanks so much!

yea that might help some. All

yea that might help some. All starters I've seen have 2 bolts. So there should be two the same size around there somewhere. THey should be sizable bolts too. The head of the bolt will be physically touching the starter.

"this is the bolt in question.

"this is the bolt in question. it does appear that a bolt is missing from the other side of the starter. is this the mounting stud? when i replace the starter do i need to worry about replacing the missing stud? thanks again!
22316.jpg
starter

looks like someone broke off o

looks like someone broke off one of the bolt heads. could be a tuffy

"thanks for the help all! got

"thanks for the help all! got her out and it wasn't bad. no broken bolt head, just MIA.
thanks again!"

Back