Logo

43 190 putters when you switch off

tmoss

Just bought 1997 SeaRay 190.

Just bought 1997 SeaRay 190. Was checked over by my local SeaRay service department prior to the purchase. I ran it for the first time this weekend...about an hour or so.

At times I switched the engine off it tried to keep running by puttering for several seconds. Is this a grade of fuel issue?

"Your idle may be set too high

"Your idle may be set too high. Also, you may have some carbon built up in the combustion chamber."

"true, and higher grade fuel i

"true, and higher grade fuel is how to settle the carbon buildup issue. The carbon gets hot and glows. I've been having this issue lately too and 89 plus a bottle of octane definately cut down on the amount of run-on my engine had."

"There were a lot of these wit

"There were a lot of these with run-on issues and Mercruiser had a sheet of about 7 or 8 things to try.

If my memory serves me,

1) go to the next cooler spark plug
2) Set the idle speed at 650 RPM
3) Use higher octane gas
4) use the kill solenoid kit (this assembly replaced the idle stop with the solenoid's ram and when the key was turned off, the solenoid relaxed and the carb was basically set for 0 RPM idle)
5) let the motor idle for a few minutes after running it hard.

I don't remember all of the rest but personally, they were all Band Aids for things they should have done right in the first place.

One thing you need to know- in some cases, when the motor finally stops, it will have run backward and if you ever try to start it and it just won't crank, stop trying. The reason is that if it will not turn over at all, it has hydraulically locked and no starter will crank it. You'll need to remove the spark plugs, crank it over for a few seconds and re-install them. If you try to start it without clearing the cylinders, you'll fry your starter. Guaranteed."

"Troy, This is a common prob

"Troy, This is a common problem. Higher grade fuel may work, but the best thing is Jim N's number 5. Let the motor idle for 30 seconds before shutting it off. It will cool off enough to shut off smoothly."

"I have a 2001 mercruiser 4.3l

"I have a 2001 mercruiser 4.3l which runs great.My problem is that shifting from neutral to forward or reverse is very difficult. When I disconnect the shift assist,shifting is much smoother.I'm a little reluctant to run without the shift assist connected.The shift assist is not the shift assist switch. As best I can determine it's purpose is to assist in finding the neutral position. This shift assist is not on all 4.3L engines. I replaced the shift assist and there has been no improvement. Any ideas or solutions ?"

Back