Logo

Trouble changing the oil

teckles

I have tried a electric oil pu

I have tried a electric oil pump and a drill pump. both times the oil comes halfway up the tube then it looses it's prime (suction) and falls back into the dipstick tube. any ideas?

"my opinion, raise the front o

"my opinion, raise the front of the boat as much as possible, open the drain plug, put a bucket back there, remove the oil pan bolt and let 'er go. Any other way is a pain in the ass. Or it was for me anyways. Just clean up the mess afterwards with a rag.

You can also use a cup and fill it up and do it that way but it takes longer."

"The oil will not come out if

"The oil will not come out if it's not HOT. (Found that out the hard way.) I use an old propane tank for a receiver, and the engine in my car as a vacuum source. Works slick!

Jeff"

"A lot of those rigs come with

"A lot of those rigs come with very thin tubes with the intent to feed the tube down the dipstick tube. You're better off getting a rubber grommet that fits over the dip stick tube and sucking on the end of that instead of the little tiny tube that comes with oil removal kit.
Admitedly, there will be some residual oil left in the very bottom of the oil pan. If you change oil and filter regularly, that little bit of oil left in there won't hurt a thing.
I probably would be doing it the way Russ recommends, but the EPA would get excited if I did that waterborne, plus the previous owner torqued the snot out of the oil pan plug and I'm afraid I'll break something if I pull any harder."

Back