Logo

Whining

97caravelle

"I have a 1997 caravelle 1750

"I have a 1997 caravelle 1750 with a merc 3.0 liter and a alpha 1 out drive. This weekend I notice a whining noise coming from the engine area. It almost sounds like a bad bearing. I ran it for about 30 to 40 min. and no problem, good oil pressure, no overheating, good performance.

ANy Ideas?

Also what prop should I be using? I currently have a merc vengence 19 pitch top out at 4800 rpm"

Take the drive belt off the al

Take the drive belt off the alternater and spin the water pump and alternater by hand. Also see if there is any side play in the pulleys. Your alternator or water pump might have a bad bearing. You should be able to tell which one is bad by spinning the pulley.

"If the noise sounds like its

"If the noise sounds like its at the back of the engine it could be a gimble bearing, take the drive off and give it a spin if its notchy it needs replacing.

Cheers Spamaman"

Well it's not the alternat

Well it's not the alternator or the water punp I cannot find a tension pull. Do you agree with everybody else it could be a gimal bearing? Does the gimbel bearing spin all the time when the engine is running

"Paul,

Do you mean yes it c

"Paul,

Do you mean yes it could be a gimbel bearing or yes the gimbel bears spins when the motor is running or yes to both"

"Both. Its not hard to remove

"Both. Its not hard to remove out drive, Put drive in forward to line up shift shafts remove trim cylinders and 6 bolts pull it out be carefull its heavy. Than put your hand in bell housing and turn the bearing."

19 pitch at 4800 max is fine.

19 pitch at 4800 max is fine. Hook up the hose pull the alt belt and run the engine for about 30-45 sec if the whine is gone the alt is probalbly working to hard. Check the condition of the batt and check alt output amps.

Back