Logo

Alpha 1 Lower Unit shift grinding

J

Justin Katko

"I am having a problem with my

"I am having a problem with my Alpha 1 outdrive. I can feel/hear the lower unit grind when I only put it into the forward position. The slower and easier I push, the worse it is."

"The Throttle. When I put it i

"The Throttle. When I put it in gear I hear it grind. The slower I move the throttle into gear, the worse it grinds; however, It will go into gear everytime."

"My Alpha 1 does the same thin

"My Alpha 1 does the same thing, Sounds normal to me. Typical for Mercruiser.
Has it got worse over time or allways been that way?"

"It has got worse over time.

"It has got worse over time. It slipped into gear nice last summer, but so far this year it has been a pain getting into gear. It is almost to the point that I have to slam it into gear so it dosent grind. I talked to a service rep today from MarineMax and he said adjust the throttle cable."

"My solution is jerry rigged b

"My solution is jerry rigged but it works. Run a cut-off switch to the dash. By pushing the button for a second or two it kills the engine, put it in gear when the engine is about to die and then let off the switch and it stays running. Goes in smooth.

The friction in the throttle cable is probably holding it from going all the way back to idle."

"It's the lower shift cabl

"It's the lower shift cable that causes that, water gets in and kills the cable.
A friend, 2 hours and $70.00 and its done."

"Also. All shifts into and ou

"Also. All shifts into and out of gear with a merc or omc cobra should be done with some zeal, DO NOT try to slide it in. The clutch dog will become damaged. Check the operation of your shift interrupt switch. With a bad cable (and this sounds like a bad cable) the engine should shut off going into gear."

Back