Logo

Alpha drive unit oil usage

bikodog

"I've got a 2002 3.0 Alpha

"I've got a 2002 3.0 Alpha drive that I bought used in December. It's had all the winterization, but no new seals in the out drive. The drive lube is going down about 2 ounces for every 2-3 hour trip. The lube is not milky, and only goes down under use, not sitting. Should I replace the seals now, or can I wait til the end of the season, and just keep topping off after each day out?"

"By loosening the nuts that ho

"By loosening the nuts that hold the drive in place, back it out about 1/2" and do the pressure test. The check valve won't be a factor at that point. First, replace the vent and drain plug seals, then remove the prop and see if there is any fishing line in the prop seal. That's the most common reason I have seen for shaft seals to go bad. If you get lucky, it'll just be the shaft seals in the bearing carrier. Not a very expensive repair."

"Thanks for the replies. I pu

"Thanks for the replies. I pulled the drain plug and checked the oil in the lower unit, and I still see no sign of water. It's a little darker, as i would expect, than brand new oil, since it has about 10 hours on it. The owners manual says if you have to add more than 2 ounces, have it serviced. But 2 ounces after what? Each day on the water? Once after you first fill it? I've read elsewhere that these drive units can use a little oil. I hate to tear this thing apart if it's within normal guidelines."

"It should not loose a table s

"It should not loose a table spoon in any normal use. Where is the oil going. It should show up some where. My bet is the shift shaft seal/speedo block. They fail alot, crap design due to sand and debris can just sit on that area. If you are watching your oil, run it for the season. Be real careful though, if it gets low it will smoke the upper gear set and bearings. Good luck."

"Thanks, I think I'll kee

"Thanks, I think I'll keep an eye on it, and tackle it at the end of the season, which is only 2 months away at this point at this latitude."

Back