Logo

Draining lower unit

tnduke

"I can't get the drain scr

"I can't get the drain screw loose on my lower unit. The screw has had a rough life so I have tried tapping it with a screwdriver and hammer to break it loose, but I don't want to mess it up. The drain screw was in tight but came out fine. My oil looks shot and have drained all I can out of the vent. Anybody got a good tip on this one?"

"So, which screw is stuck?

"So, which screw is stuck?

Get the biggest screwdriver you can find. Craftsman has a behemoth that works pretty good.
And, buy a new plug."

"no, heres what you do. Put t

"no, heres what you do. Put the point of the screwdriver 90 degrees to the slot and at an angle on one side of the slot and then tap it with a hammer. Your other option is using an impact screwdriver. You hit the head of the screwdriver and it turns right when you hit it. I would recommend trying option 1 first though. It should work fine."

"sorry, that first option is h

"sorry, that first option is hard to explain. It involves hitting the screwdriver which is placed so that it will drive the screw in the direction you want it to go. So the corner tip of the driver is in the slot on the left side (driving down). Hit it with a shot of PB blaster to loosen it up, you can get it at walmart, it has a yellow cap and a funky label."

"This sucker is in there! I do

"This sucker is in there! I don't want to screw up the outdrive banging to hard on it. The drain screw is aluminum and I assume from the sound it makes, that the lower unit is all aluminum as well. I have used WD 40 on it, beat on it(within reason), and I have about 10 different screwdrivers to choose from. I have thought about either getting a chisel and driving a line at a 90 degree angle and see if it will bite. If that doesn't work it would be on it's way to becoming a phillips screw and I could try to dress it up and put a phillips screwdriver on it. Or would it advisable to drill it and use an easy out?
angry.gif
"

"I have this problem also. The

"I have this problem also. Them screws strip very easily. You need the biggest slotted screwdriver you can find that will fit the slot just right. You may have to buy one, but you will use it all the time afterwards. Put the screwdriver in the slot, rest your palm at the end of the handle with your left hand, lean on it as hard as you can while turning the handle with your right hand (if you are right handed). It should break loose. Putting your weight against the screwdriver will help keep the screwdriver from slipping out of the slot and stripping it even more. Good luck"

"I use a large impact wrench f

"I use a large impact wrench flat bit chucked in my drill driver (with adjustable torque).Set the torque low, say 10 lbs. then increase torque until the screw breaks loose. This method doesn't tear up the screw slot as badly as doing it manually.

I've tried this with regular drill driver bits and it works but the bits break frequently, requiring several to get the job done."

Back