Logo

Drives

wmlaks

Regular Contributor
I am currently looking at two

I am currently looking at two boats each has an outdrive problem the first has a crack in the lower drive and leaks water when ran on a set of muffs. the other had a bearing faliure in the upper drive the first is off of a 2.5 liter and the other is off of a 4.3liter. what kind of problems normally accompany a bearing failure and is the crack in the lower unit normally soething that can be fixed by welding. Thanks in advance for your insite into these matters Michael

"Ayuh,...

Considering that

"Ayuh,...

Considering that OMC has build Various Different Outdrives,....
That's a rather Important bit of Info, that'll make answering easier...

Which Model outdrives are We talking about,..??..??"

were there more than two model

were there more than two models in the cobra drives I was only aware of the 400 and 800. I believe that they are both 400S

"Ayuh,...

There were a Few

"Ayuh,...

There were a Few models of Cobras,...
And,..
A Few models of the King Cobras,...

None of them were 400 or 800....

Those would be Stringer drives,... Totally Different....
And,...
I believe you'll find there were several models of the 400 Stringer drives,+ I Know there were several models of the 800 Stringer drives...."

"upper bearing failure usually

"upper bearing failure usually result of running a drive that has leaked out most of it's oil.
Lower unit crack usually from a drive that has leaked out all of it's oil, filled with water and then left to freeze in the winter.

There were several versions of Cobra drive as well as other omc drives that were not cobras. 400 and 800 series were drives manufactured between 1978 and 1985, not cobra.

dog clutch Cobra drives are identified by propshaft spline count (13 for 4 cyl up to 1990) 15 for V6 and 8 cyl all years and 4 cylinder after 1990."

Back